Christmas Movies // Let’s Get Into the Spirit of Things

20 December 2017

Christmas
It’s approaching Christmas so what better time of year to sit and watch a whole heap of Christmas films for no good reason? I spent all of my Saturday watching Christmas films on Netflix, inspired by the fact I wanted to watch Christmas Inheritance (because my love for Eliza Taylor knows no bounds) and then it was a bit of a slippery slope from there.

Christmas_InheritanceChristmas Inheritance
Before ambitious heiress Ellen Langford can inherit her father's gift business, she must deliver a special Christmas card to her dad's former partner in Snow Falls, the hometown she never knew. When a snowstorm strands her at the town inn, she's forced to work for her keep, and in the process, finds romance and discovers the true gift of Christmas.
I will be honest, I watched this film for Eliza Taylor. I may not be all caught up on The 100 but I will watch anything she does because she is my favourite. I thought the film had potential but was a little predictable sounding. I mean, rich girl gets sent to small town to learn the true spirit of Christmas? Yeah, I knew how that was going to go down straight off the bat, but I didn’t care.

We begin with Ellen showing off her gymnastic skills and drinking to show she is such a rebel. I wasn’t totally sure what she did in the company but for some reason she expected her dad to hand it over to her. I only figured out they were a gift company when she got to Snow Falls. I didn’t really get why her dad thought sending her to Snow Falls would teach her humility but it obviously will. Probably because it’s just the kind of place where everyone knows one another and they are very close.

I was totally right about the film but it was so bad it was good, you know? It was predictable and funny and cutesy and basically like a Christmas contemporary romance in film form and who doesn’t love that? I did spend a lot of the film thinking, I recognise that dude when it came to Jake so then I had a big Googling session to figure out what I’d seen him in (he was in Obvious Child, an excellent film with Jenny Slate that is an abortion rom-com… I know, it shouldn’t work but it’s so smart and I enjoyed it) so there was that as well.

I can’t say this is a film which everyone will love but if you’re looking for a cheesy Christmas film and want a little cheering up with some heart-warming romance then check this out. This film won’t fail you.

A_Christmas_PrinceA Christmas Prince
When a reporter goes undercover as a tutor to get the inside scoop on a playboy prince, she gets tangled in some royal intrigue and ends up finding love - but will she be able to keep up her lie?
This one was the perfect film to follow on from Christmas Inheritance… also I had heard it was terrible and needed to experience it first hand. Christmas Inheritance was the better film by far, this one was a bit too cheesy and ridiculous and filled with OTT drama and scheming. It had me rolling my eyes so much it was ridiculous. Like, I knew it was going to be ridiculous but as soon as they named the fictional kingdom Aldovia I knew it was going to be bad, could they not think of anything which didn’t sound like Genovia? Also, the whole sneaking round for a story bit was so crazy, especially as when she was lying about being a tutor she still had her press pass on! And the moments where she was sneaking around for the story were so not subtle and it bothered me.

I will say it was light easy viewing and I would have adored this film as a kid so maybe those viewing with a slightly younger audience will have good viewing to keep the kids occupied at Christmas, perfect as many break up for the holidays.

Love_The_Coopers_TeaserLove The Coopers
When four generations of the Cooper clan come together for their annual Christmas Eve celebration, a series of unexpected visitors and unlikely events turn the night upside down, leading them all toward a surprising rediscovery of family bonds and the spirit of the holiday.
After I discovered who played Jake in Christmas Inheritance I then discovered he had been in another Christmas film, Love the Coopers, and this one was available on Amazon Prime. I’d already added it to my to watch list and I think it was because someone who had something to do with The Family Stone had something to do with this film and The Family Stone is one of my favourites.

This was a little weird but it was completely laugh out loud funny. I was confused by the narration and couldn’t figure out how all the characters were linked for a really long time but I didn’t even care. It was crazy and a little weird but it was sweet and heart-warming. it may not be my favourite film ever but it was fun and sweet and it made me happy. Also, I’m now a little in love with Jake Lacy, I will watch films with him in always.

El Camino ChristmasEl_Camino_Christmas
The project, scripted by Melfi and writer Chris Wehner, is about a young man (Grimes) who seeks out a father he has never met and, through no fault of his own, ends up barricaded in a liquor store with five other people on Christmas Eve. The story takes place in the fictitious town of El Camino, NV.
This was the most disappointing of the Christmas films. I enjoyed it in some ways. It was funny, but I felt like there could have been more. It was a comedy and it was a little ridiculous but it felt like big chunks of the story were completely not explored. I mean, the MC (whose name I can’t remember… along with everyone else's) was arrested for possession and supposedly having other drug paraphernalia. He was beaten and then only escaped custody as one of the sheriff’s deputies let him go.

There was no exploration of the cops incompetence or anything they just were incompetent and then it was okay. And then there was the fact the guy was trying to connect with his father and it all just felt disjointed, like a bunch of plot points thrown on a page and only half were fully explored. Basically, it was all half assed and rushed and hella confusing and even the ending didn’t feel satisfying. It entertained me but I wouldn’t recommend or rewatch.

Have you watched any Christmas films yet this year? Do you have a favourite or d you just like to try and see what comes on TV and hope for the best?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.