Do You Ever Get Stuck In A Reading Rut?

12 June 2015

 photo my thoughts_zpsxud7iqx3.png

I am stuck in a reading rut. It’s not so much that I’m not reading, I’m reading plenty. It’s more that I am stuck reading the same kind of books over and over again. I’m stuck in the romance and contemporary genre and can’t seem to motivate myself to venture out into new genres. It’s not that I don’t want to, but every time I go and pick up a book that’s a little bit different I find myself just not getting into it. I’ve already lamented the fact I’m a bit of a mood reader, but this is something different. I’m finding myself getting a bit bored of reading the same books. Have you ever had this feeling, and if so what do you do with it?

 

It’s not that I’m reading bad books. When I’m reading these books I really enjoy them and I get into the story, but every time it comes to me finding something new to read I feel very indifferent to the books I have to choose from. I’m kind of hoping that reading the books Rachel sent me as part of our book swap will help. I’ve got the entire Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series to read and I’m thinking that the sci-fi nature and humour of that book will help to refresh me in my reading, but even that I’m not certain of.

 

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me and I’m thinking too much about my reading mood but I am finding myself becoming a bit bored of the genres I’m drawn to reading. It’s an issue of being a mood reader and deciding to read what I fancy. but I do feel like I need to break out of my reading rut. I’ve seen on some blogs where people are venturing out into new genres every so often, I don’t do enough of that. I may start widening my reading to more books, but at the same time why read something you don’t like? But how do I know I don’t like it unless I try? It’s difficult, I know, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about.

 

This isn’t really a post with too much a point, more a statement of fact and me vocalising some concerns I have about my reading that partially stems from last week where I was contemplating how blogging had changed me. Do you ever feel like this sometimes? What do you do when these thoughts creep on you? Do you ignore them and hope for the best or do you embrace it and start reading new things to try and drive it off as soon as it comes on?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.