Top 10 Tuesday: Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read

08 April 2014

So, it’s that time of the week again. Time for The Broke and The Bookish’s Top 10 Tuesday. This week I’ll be thinking about the most unique books that I have read, something which I have never really thought about before.
1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: Now not everyone will consider this to be unique, but for me, when I first started reading it. It was like nothing I had ever read 16068905before. The magic and the world building, it was something so different
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: This one is not unique on the type of book it is, but it is unique in that it is a novel set in college that doesn’t go the route of most b10305156ooks set at college or university, where it’s a new adult book filled with drama and romance and drama and angst. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I often enjoy a book like that, but it was nice to have a book set in a setting I could relate to.
3. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Series by Laini Taylor: This is a unique read for me. For such a long time I searched high and low for similar style of book, but found nothing. It is truly a one of a kind series, which is drawing to a close this month. Taylor has such a unique writing style, and create such original and realistic characters. There was nothing like it, and I can’t wait, but simultaneously dread it ending.
4. A Song of FIre and Ice series by George RR Martin: This one is obvious. This is the most unique fantasy epic I have ever had the original of reading. I was reading an article on the BBC News website the other day which stated that it was inspired by a French history novel about the events which led the 110 Years War, and this historical influence is obvious in the political intrigue of the series. The world building and characterisation is in a world of it’s own. I wish there more series like this one
5. A Place Called Here by Cecilia Ahern: This book stuck with me for a very long time. Ahern writes such touching books, about various different things, all of them with a hint of romance and something which makes you think without realising it. This book was touching for me because it was all set in another place, the place 6489636where missing things go. I found it so very interesting, I read it in one sitting, no breaks. I loved it, it is definitely unique.
6. The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard: This is a book very different to other things on my list, which just shows how unique it is. I got sent it by mom when I was at uni one year as a part of a care package for my birthday. It was a fantastic read, I loved it. It was about people who could manipulate others through reading, which is not difficult as books often influence my emotions. It was such a bizarre read, but fantastic. I loved how it was part thriller, with a sense of mystery, and seemed so realistic.
7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson: Now I know you have all heard of this series, even if you haven’t read it or watched the films. I read these books a while ago now. I keep getting the urge to reread them as they were so complex, but the size intimidates me. These books shows that Larsson had such an excellent grasp of people as his characters are so flawed and real they could be anyone really. The technicalities do make this book difficult to read at first, but get past the few chapters and it is an intriguing read that will 17199504have you hoked and dying to visit Sweden.
8. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon: This is a very recent read. It is unique because this entire world was so unique. This is like nothing that has been released. It shares similar themes, similar concepts, but the story itself is one of a kind. I recommend it to everyone.
9. Nodame Cantabile by Tomoko Ninomiya: This shows I’m running low on inspiration having to result to a manga. Not to day this isn’t fantastic, because it is. A truly unique story about students at a music academy in Japan. It helped me develop an appreciation for classical music, I think. I do wish that there were more books like this manga, it would be a dream book for me if there was I think.
10. Little Alters Everywhere by Rebecca Wells: This book was one I read because I loved the film with Sandra Bullock in Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, so I went out of my way to read the books this film was based on. I loved this book, it was such an easy read as it was a collection of short stories about the same family. Sure, the characters were often cruel and you could not sympathise with them, they were humanised in the novel, but they were fantastic. It was an intriguing read, I really enjoyed it.

Well, that’s all from me. Does anyone have recommendations for a unique read? Have any of you read some of these books, do you agree with what I’ve said?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.