The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

03 April 2014

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

 photo 16181775_zpsf4e3ae56.jpg
An international sensation, this hilarious, feel-good novel is narrated by an oddly charming and socially challenged genetics professor on an unusual quest: to find out if he is capable of true love.

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges.

I don't like doing review posts. This is what I have learnt from the ones I have done. I do want a way to enthuse about a book to others and encourage others to take a look at a book they may have overlooked. To be honest, everyone and their mom has heard about this book, I'm sure. It's on all the shelves: in bookstores, at the supermarket, and it's being reviewed in every other paper and magazine. So, I don't think I'll really be bringing a new book to peoples attention today. It might be a book that has been overlooked, though, simply because it is everywhere.

Why should you read this book?

Because it is such a wonderful story. It is funny, it is relatable, it has mystery and romance. And you won't be able to stop reading the damn thing. What more of a reason do you need?

What makes it different from any other book?

Everything? This is not just a book... it is an M&S book. Sorry, no one outside of the UK will probably get that joke. But, essentially, what I'm trying to say is that this book is better than other books, it has that something extra that is hard to find in books. Also, it's set in Australia. The author is Australian, can't say there are many books from Australia which people have heard of. But, I'm not exactly worldly in my reading habits, so, please, prove wrong.

It's not really my usual type of book, I don't want to read it

Well, that's very narrow minded, but I know what you're saying. I am quite eclectic in my reading habits, so this appealed to me. But, for those of you that normally read specific genres, or prefer to stay in you reading comfort zone, because you know what you like so don't tend to stray outside of it. All I can say to you people is please, give it a go. It really is a book I think everyone can enjoy, because one of the main themes throughout the book is feeling like you don't fit in. Now, I know that is something we can all relate to. The main character, Don, feels like people are continually expecting others to confirm to their expectations and to a rigid set of standards. Something he was never able to do, so he adapted himself so people were more accepting of him without actually conforming to the standards themselves. I know I have felt like I don't fit in at times, and that I cannot meet people's expectations of me, imagined or real.

Now, I've run out of questions that may be posed against reading this book. But, seriously, read it! You'll enjoy, trust me. It's good.

Until next time.

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.